Fallout 76 players have a whole new season ahead with 100 ranks of rewards as well as some quality-of-life improvements and more new activities, all coming with today’s Test Your Metal update.
Last week, Bethesda shared a brand new trailer for Fallout 76 Expeditions: The Pitt during the Xbox Showcase, revealing that the new journey will begin in September, but the road to The Pitt passes through Season 9, which goes live today!
- CHECK THIS OUT: How Starfield’s Launch Could Shake Things Up for Star Citizen
With Test Your Metal’s arrival, you will start preparing yourself for the Expeditions: The Pitt update as the developers bring more new tasks and activities to Appalachia.
Test Your Metal on its own is a public event that will send you to a fight against the deadly machines of Rust Eagles. This isn’t going to be an easy event, but you will team up with Brotherhood Field members in this activity.
Take a look at the full patch notes of the Fallout 76 Test Your Metal and Season 9 update down below:
TEST YOUR METAL IN THE RUST EAGLE ARENA
- The “Test Your Metal” Public Event will appear on your map at the Metal Dome, north of Fort Atlas in the Savage Divide. Travel there and speak with Initiate Pappas to start the event.
- Once Test Your Metal begins, you will join three members of the Brotherhood field team to compete as gladiators against the Rust Eagles’ deadly machines.
- You and the Gladiators of Steel will square off against the bots in three rounds of frenzied combat. Defeat the opposition in one round, and you’ll advance to the next.
- Once you’ve conquered all three rounds, you will earn some loot, XP, and have a chance to pick up rare rewards, including plans to craft the new Botsmith Armor set.
- Keep a lookout for the Golden Eyebot to make an appearance! Do your best to take it down to claim an added bounty of Caps.
- Make sure to defend your teammates, and have Stimpaks at the ready if they fall. The more Gladiators of Steel who survive their time in the ring, the higher your chances to earn rare rewards.
JOIN THE MOONSHINE JAMBOREE
- Meet up with Moonshiner Ned behind the bar inside Sunday Brothers Cabin in The Mire to kick off the festivities.
- Light the Jamboree Bonfire, and then keep your guard up. Vicious Gulpers and other curious creatures will soon flood the area to investigate the raucous Jamboree.Take down Gulpers and collect as much Acidic Gulper Venom as you can. Pour it, as directed by Moonshiner Ned, into a nearby bathtub so that it can be used to serve up a fresh batch of moonshine.
- Make sure to defend the three Stills located around the Cabin grounds. If they get destroyed the party will be ruined!
- If you manage to deposit 30 Acidic Gulper Venom in time, and the Stills remain intact, then the Jamboree will be a roaring success.The most masterful moonshiners among you can optionally collect up to 60 Acidic Gulper Venom before the event concludes for increased rewards.
- Speaking of rewards, by completing Moonshine Jamboree, you will earn Raider faction reputation, some loot, the all-new “Gulper Smacker” melee weapon, and a few bottles of Gulpershine, which you can drink to increase the Gulper Smacker’s damage vs. Gulpers.
DELIVER AN EVICTION NOTICE
- “Eviction Notice” is a challenging new Public Event tuned for higher-level characters. It will appear on your map in the Savage Divide at a crater that can be found east of Foundation, and south of Huntersville.
- Find and activate the Rad Scrubber within the crater, and then prepare for a fight!Make sure to defend the Rad Scrubber from an onslaught of Super Mutants.
- If the Rad Scrubber takes too much damage, it will deactivate. Repair it as quickly as possible, or else rad levels in the area will become much more hazardous.
- TIP: Destroy the Super Mutants’ meat bags to discourage them from sticking around. You and your event mates may want to try splitting up so that some players can venture out to attack the meat bags, while others focus on defense.
- If you’re successful in driving the Super Mutants from the crater, you will earn Settler faction reputation, some loot, and a chance to receive one of six unique 3-star legendary weapons.
- As you progress during your Season journey, you will unlock new paints for your weapons, armor, and Power Armor, amenities for your C.A.M.P., outfits, cosmetics, consumables, and more!
FALLOUT 1ST ENHANCEMENTS
- Unlock S.C.O.R.E. Boosts: Fallout 1st Members can claim three new S.C.O.R.E. Boost rewards at ranks 15, 50, and 75, which increase the S.C.O.R.E. they earn from Challenges for the rest of Season 9 by +5%, +10%, and +10%, respectively.Please note: Boosts count toward a Challenge’s base S.C.O.R.E. reward. They do not multiply with other bonus effects, such as Double S.C.O.R.E. Weekends.
- For example, if you’ve unlocked all three S.C.O.R.E. Boosts, and you then complete a Challenge for 100 S.C.O.R.E., you will earn a total of 125. If you complete that same Challenge during a Double S.C.O.R.E. Weekend, you will earn its base value of 100 S.C.O.R.E., plus 100 more due to the event, and 25 from your boosts, for a total of 225 S.C.O.R.E.
- Complete Bonus Challenges: Members can also earn even more S.C.O.R.E. by completing Fallout 1st Bonus Challenges, which will appear as Daily or Weekly Challenges alongside the existing lineup in the Challenges menu.
- Claim Even More Rewards: This Season’s Scoreboard features many additional rank-up rewards for Fallout 1st Members. Hover over rank-up icons that have a gold ring on the Scoreboard to display both the standard and Fallout 1st rewards for that rank, side-by-side.
FRESH RADIO PLAYS
- Tune your Pip-Boy’s radio dial to the Pirate Radio Station to catch six new Radio Plays that follow along with Anna, Emilio, and H-4RT as they explore Dread Island and try to survive its many perils.
SPOT FALLEN FOES MORE EASILY WITH CORPSE HIGHLIGHTING
- Corpse Highlights will be enabled by default on the Display tab in the game’s Settings menu.You can also toggle the setting to decide when you’d like Corpse Highlights to disappear from a fallen enemy: After hovering your crosshairs over the corpse to view their quick inventory, or after inspecting the corpse by viewing their full inventory menu.
ADDITIONAL CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS
- Critical Hit damage bonuses are now all additive, and we’ve increased the bonuses from a wide variety of sources to help compensate for this change:
- Better Criticals Perk Card: Bonuses per Perk Card rank increased from +20/30/40% to +50/75/100%, respectively.
- Standard Receiver Mods: Bonus increased from +68% to +100%
- Auto Receiver Mods: Bonus increased from +36% to +50%
- Overdrive: Bonus increased from +15% to +30%
- Eagle Eyes Mutation: Bonus increased from +25% to +60%
- Eagle Eyes (when buffed by the “Stranger In Numbers” Perk Card): Bonus increased from +32% to +75%
- Tesla Science Magazine #8: Bonus increased from +15% to +50%
- Firecracker Berry Juice: Bonus increased from +10% to +25%
- Sweet Mutfruit Tea, Megasloth Mushroom Soup, Blight Soup, Steeped Thistle Tea: Bonus increased from +20% to +50%
- All Magazines affecting per weapon type critical: Bonuses increased from +30% to +100%
- Armor: Leather Left Arms with an equipped Brawling mod no longer appear to clip through the left shoulder of male characters.
- Emotes: The “Halt!” Emote now plays animations correctly while wearing Power Armor.
- Emotes: Using an Emote while standing in a fire or similar hazard no longer causes the player to become stuck in an Emote animation.
- Enemies: Crippled Super Mutants no longer launch into the air on death.
- Outfits: The Firewall Outfit’s Helmet now correctly displays a glass face shield while equipped.
- Power Armor: The headlamp for Equalizer and Matte Black Equalizer Power Armor Paint now shines in the correct direction when applied to Hellcat Power Armor.
- Power Armor: Applying the Yellow Power Armor Paint to a set of Power Armor now applies proper interior textures, as well.
- Terminals: Corrected an animation issue when entering a Terminal that could cause the player’s view to become misaligned from the Terminal screen.
- Weapons: Fixed an issue that could cause NPCs to hold Pipe Pistols at odd angles.
- Weapons: Characters’ hands no longer clip into the Alien Disintegrator.
- Weapons: The Alien Disintegrator’s impact visual effects now correctly change color based on which Receiver mod the player is using.
C.A.M.P.S & WORKSHOPS
- Ally Furniture: Sam Nguyen’s Workbench can now be moved after being built.
- Beds: Players can now correctly interact with the Alien Stasis Chamber Bed.
- C.A.M.P. Deployable: Allies can now move toward a C.A.M.P. that has the Future Tec Skin applied to the C.A.M.P. Deployable.
- Misc. Structures: The notification that appears after learning a West Virginia Slot Machine Plan that was purchased from a Gold Bullion Vendor now displays the correct item name.
- Resources: Mineral Extractors now correctly appear in the C.A.M.P. Build Menu only when the player’s C.A.M.P. is near an appropriate Mineral Deposit.
- Signs: Characters can no longer clip into the Water Park Sign.
- Survival Tent: The Scrapbox in the APC Survival Tent is now facing the correct direction.
- Stealth: Firing a silenced weapon while in Stealth no longer causes nearby enemies to instantly detect the player.
- VATS: Fixed an issue in which VATS critical hits were not guaranteed to strike the target.
- VATS: Fixed an issue that could cause VATS to randomly close while firing at an enemy with clear line of sight.
- VATS: VATS no longer randomly closes while targeting certain robotic enemies.
- VATS: Firing explosive weapons in VATS no longer causes duplicate damage numbers to appear.
- VATS: Firing a Missile Launcher in VATS now correctly progresses the critical hit meter.
- VATS: Exiting a World with the ProSnap Deluxe Camera equipped no longer prevents the player from opening VATS after joining a new World.
- VATS: Players can no longer target disarmed mines using VATS.
- Handy Bots: Mr. Handy/Gutsy type robots can now correctly cycle their weapons.
- Blood Eagles: Fixed an issue that prevented a Blood Eagle Cutthroat near Prickett’s Fort from reacting to the player’s presence.
EVENTS & QUESTS
- Ally: Crash Landing: Super Mutants now correctly approach the Crash Site when the player is retrieving the Flight Recorder.
- Lode Baring: Fixed an issue in which players could not mine some mineral deposits during the Lode Baring Public Event.
- Lode Baring: The miscellaneous objective to “Exchange tokens at Terminal” that displays after completing this Public Event no longer always reappears after logging out and back in.
- Monster Mash: Removed a non-functioning reward option from the S.M.A.R.T. Choice Machine.
- Overseer’s Mission: The Small Backpack Plan no longer spawns in the Overseer’s Cache inside the Morgantown Airport for players who have already learned it.
- Overseer’s Mission: The Overseer’s Cache at Site Bravo now correctly spawns Vault Boy and Vault Girl Statue plans instead of two Vault Girl Statue plans. These plans no longer spawn in the Overseer’s Cache if the player has already learned them.
- Path to Enlightenment: The Lighthouse Lamp no longer continues to prompt the player to “Deposit Bioluminescent Fluid” after completing this Public Event.
- Trade Secrets: Players can now correctly pass through the laser grid to access the Hornwright Estate Safe Room, as long as they’ve collected the required keycard.
- Custom Worlds: Fixed an issue in which characters that were linked to a shared Custom World could still join that World after the owner had deleted it.
- Armor: Thorn Armor’s description now correctly indicates that it deals 250 damage.
- Armor: The Shrouded mod for Wood Armor now correctly provides improved Stealth in dark areas.
- Armor: Fixed an issue causing Hardened mods for Brotherhood Recon and Secret Service Armors to provide less Damage Resistance than intended.
- Armor: Fixed an issue causing the Fiberglass mod for Combat Armor to provide less Damage Resistance than intended.
- Armor: Crafting Sturdy Robot Torso Armor no longer costs fewer materials than intended.
- Armor: Arctic Marine Armor can now receive the same armor paints that Marine Armor can.
- Backpacks: Fixed a visual issue causing the High-Capacity Backpack mod to display astronomically huge Damage Resistance stats.
- Exploit: Addressed an exploit through which players could significantly increase the size of a weapon’s magazine.
- Exploit: Addressed an exploit through which it was possible to duplicate a set of Power Armor.
- Food and Drinks: Pip-Boy item previews for alcoholic beverages now correctly display any S.P.E.C.I.A.L. bonuses and penalties the player will receive after consuming them.
- Item Names: Corrected several typos and naming inconsistencies across a variety of different item plans and mods.
- Power Armor: The Father Winter Power Armor Helmet can now be restored to its standard appearance.
- Power Armor: Excavator Power Armor Arms now correctly provide extra ore from mining when both left and right arms are equipped.
- Power Armor: Equipping a Power Armor Torso with the Kinetic Dynamo mod no longer interferes with the effects of the Kinetic Servos mod on Power Armor Legs.
- Legendary Weapons: The Lucky Legendary weapon effect now correctly provides its 15% bonus to the critical hit meter’s fill rate.
- **Legendary Weapons: The “Cursed” prefix now properly appears in the names of Cursed Legendary Weapons.
- Melee Weapons: The Switchblade can now be restored to its standard appearance.
- Melee Weapons: The Revolutionary Sword no longer has an extra “no upgrade” mod that visually removes its blade.
- Ranged Weapons: The Handmade Rifle’s Tweaked Receiver mod now correctly increases critical hit damage.
- Ranged Weapons: The Flamer now takes condition damage at a lower rate.
- Ranged Weapons: Fixed an issue that prevented the Cryolator from taking condition damage.
- Rewards: Corrected an issue in which a number of former Nuclear Winter mode rewards could be traded or built in the C.A.M.P.s of players who did not own them.
- Mr. Sandman: The Mr. Sandman Perk Card no longer provides a different sneak attack bonus when equipped before or after the Covert Ops Perk Card. Additionally, the sneak attack bonus from Mr. Sandman has been doubled at all ranks.
- Quick Hands: Fixed an issue that could cause the Quick Hands Perk Card to trigger more often than intended.
- Super Duper: Fixed an issue that could cause the Super Duper Perk Card’s fanfare to play even though the Perk hadn’t triggered.
- Music: Daily Ops music no longer plays in interior cells when the player isn’t participating in a Daily Op.
- Challenge Tracker: Attempting to track multiple Challenges in quick succession no longer causes Challenges to visually duplicate in the Challenge Tracker.
- Notifications: Following a successful sneak attack with a melee weapon, a notification now correctly appears to inform the player that the attack dealt bonus damage.
- Player Vending Machines: Players can now inspect items listed for sale in other players’ Vending Machines, and the preview images for items now correctly appear in the Vending Machine menu.
- Quest Tracker: Addressed an issue in which a Public Event would sometimes not appear in the quest tracker after Fast Traveling to that Public Event via the Map or World Activity menu.
- Scoreboard: Fallout 1st rewards for previously achieved rank-ups now correctly appear claimable if the player joins Fallout 1st partway through a Season.
- Trade: Legendary item previews in player trade menus now correctly display all of an item’s legendary attributes.
- Pathing: Addressed a number of locations where the player could become stuck.
Fallout 76 is now available on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and PC. You can play the game for free through Xbox Game Pass.