Lionsgate‘s The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes welcomes five new cast members as tributes to the Hunger Games prequel. New cast members for The Hunger Games prequel include Ashley Liao, Mackenzie Lansing, Jerome Lance, Knox Gibson, and Aamer Hussain.
Liao will play Clemensia Dovecote, one of Coriolanus’s closest friends and mentor to a tribute from District 11; Lansing will play Coral, a tribute from District 4; will play Marcus, a tribute from District 2; Knox Gibson will play Bobbin, a tribute from District 8; and Husain will play Felix Ravinstill, mentor to a tribute from District 11.
Once upon a time, The Hunger Games was one of the biggest Y.A. franchises in the land. The four films starring Jennifer Lawrence earned over $3 billion worldwide. When Hunger Games author Susan Collins released a prequel novel, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, two years ago, Lionsgate wasted little time in adapting the new story for the big screen.
“Years before becoming the tyrannical President of Panem, 18-year-old Coriolanus Snow (Tom Blyth) is the last hope for his fading lineage. This once-proud family has fallen from grace in a post-war Capitol,” reads the official synopsis of the Hunger Games prequel. “With the 10th annual Hunger Games fast approaching, the young Snow is alarmed when he is assigned to mentor Lucy Gray Baird (Rachel Zegler), the girl tribute from impoverished District 12. But, after Lucy Gray commands all of Panem’s attention by defiantly singing during the reaping ceremony, Snow thinks he might be able to turn the odds in their favor. Uniting their instincts for showmanship and newfound political savvy, Snow and Lucy’s race against time to survive will ultimately reveal who is a songbird and who is a snake.” Francis Lawrence, who directed the first three films of the Hunger Games franchise, has returned to helm the prequel movie.
Producing The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes is Nina Jacobson, her production partner Brad Simpson, and Francis Lawrence. Suzanne Collins, Tim Palen, and Jim Miller executive produce.
- Ashley Liao recently shot the lead role in the A.C.E. Entertainment feature Loveboat Taipei, which is based on the New York Times bestselling novel of the same name. Liao played the teenage version of Ali Wong in the Netflix romantic comedy “Always Be My Maybe,” and starred as Princess Eleanor in the Disney+ original movie “Secret Society of Second Born Royals.” She also had a leading role in the Debby Ryan-produced film “Jessica Darling’s It List.” She had a regular role in the Apple TV+ series “Physical” opposite Rose Byrne. Best known for her role as Lola in the Netflix series “Fuller House,” Liao also has guest-starred in numerous series, including “N.C.I.S.,” “N.C.I.S.: Los Angeles,” “Speechless,” “Fresh Off the Boat,” and “Bad Teacher.”
- Mackenzie Lansing is a French/American actress best known for her work on HBO’s “The Deuce” and “Mare of Easttown.” She will next be seen in Allswell, set to premiere at Tribeca, and recently filmed a role for Gareth Edwards’ True Love with John David Washington. Lansing spent her childhood in Congo and France, beginning her acting career on the Paris stage. She moved to New York to attend the American Academy of Dramatic Arts. She rounded out her conservatory education by attending The Labyrinth Summer Intensive and Maggie Flanigan Studio. Her transition into film and television began with guest spots on “Red Oaks” and “Tell Me a Story.”
- Jerome Lance is in his final year at Royal Welsh and in the current cohort of Open Door. He recently performed his own writing at their Donmar Showcase.
- Knox Gibson is a confident, energetic 14-year-old boy from Australia who is also an amputee due to an accident with a lawn mower when he was three years old. Knox has been working in the entertainment industry for the past six years, modeling, filming commercials, television shows, music videos, and short films. He had a breakout role as the lead in the Netflix short film “Forgive Us Our Trespasses,” released in February 2022. Additionally, Knox is a national swimming athlete and a disability and inclusion advocate. He believes that positive representation of people with disabilities onscreen is essential as it leads to more social acceptance and challenges negative stereotypes and preconceived ideas.
- Aamer Husain appeared on “Hudson & Rex.” He is an Indian American/Canadian actor who speaks English, Urdu, and Arabic fluently.
Are you excited about The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes? Do you think the franchise will continue to thrive without the star power of Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen? Are you interested in learning more about Coriolanus Snow? Let us know in the comments section below.